Ignoring regular dryer maintenance can impact the machine's efficiency — and pose a fire hazard. If you spot any of these telltale signs, your clothes dryer needs some extra attention:
Clothes Dryer Maintenance Follow these easy steps to help add years to your dryer's life.
- Clean the lint screen before or after every load. Carefully remove the screen from your dryer, wipe away the lint and clean with a used fabric softener sheet.
- Wipe down your dryer's interior. Even if there are no stains or residue inside your dryer, it's best to clean the interior monthly. Unplug the appliance, then clean the drum with a rag dipped in warm, soapy water.
- Keep the lint trap clear. Remove the lint screen and clean its housing cavity with a dryer lint brush. You may also use the crevice attachment on your vacuum cleaner for this task.
- Vacuum behind and underneath the dryer. Moisture, dirt, and lint can accumulate quickly. Clean around the dryer every three months.
- Check the balance of your dryer. If your dryer is not level, the rotating components will wear out sooner. Adjust the feet at the bottom of the unit if the dryer moves or shakes when in use.
- Inspect and clean the vent system. Hire professionals to clean your ducts and vent if you notice a decrease in dryer performance. If you have pets or a large family, this could be necessary as often as twice a year.
Your clothes dryer isn't the only laundry room appliance that needs regular care
If you have any questions please feel free to call us!